May 24, 2010

May 24th 2010

Clayhall:
  • Peregrine (probably), devouring a small bird 6.30pm on 24th May (just before dinner, lovely especially through binoculars!), Clayhall Avenue. (M Scott) = observers notes: (description: blue-grey back, white front and legs, black on its head where it's moustache and sideburns would be if it was human - I've just looked up peregrines and hobbys in my bird book, and I'm pretty sure it was a peregrine; the hobby is darker and has, as my book charmingly calls it, "rusty trousers", whereas my visitor had white trousers!)... ps a Peregreine was also seen in the Wanstead area the same day!
Hainault Forest:
  • Hainault Forest CP: 12 Blackbirds, 2 Song Thrush, 11 Wrens, 2 Dunnocks, 8 Robins, 6 Chaffinches, 6 Great Tits, 2 Blue Tits, 14m Blackcaps, 2m Chiffchaff, 2m Garden Warbler, 4 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 50 Canada Geese + 4 broods, 4 Coot, 15 Mallard, Mute Swan, 5 Moorhen + brood, 12 Carrion Crows, 9 Magpie, 8 Jackdaws, Jay (CIS)

South Woodford: - Blue Tits

  • Just to let you know that the 1 remaining chick was desperately trying to get out of the nest hole this morning. Lots of failed attempts and flapping of wings. The parent was outside calling to it (I think) - presumably encouraging it to leave. It was calling back and now has the classic blue tit vocals. Not long now.... (PGordon)

Valentines Park:

  • Great Crested Grebes nest, Valentines Park: When I saw them yesterday inthe late afternoon, all was well and I saw the 4 eggs still in the nest whenthe pair of Grebes did their "change-over"- but when I went along there in the early afternoon today I was devastated to see a deserted nest- with no sign of eggs or birds. They are not having much luck!
  • Re. the swans: I took a closer look at the remaining egg in the nest, andrather than being a used one it looks as if it just did not hatch- so they must have laid 9 eggs rather than the 7 the park representative thought. (Gillian Ware)

Wanstead Flats:

  • Peregrine swooping over Bush Wood flats (PSaunders)

Connaught Water: (just outside the borough)

  • Pair Egyptian Geese (where are they suddenly coming from ?)
  • Swan family
  • Tufted duck appear to be pairing off – much posing from males with the odd fracas,
  • Mandarin male but no females that I saw
  • 1 lone Great Crested Grebe
  • 1 pair hybrid pale Mallard (PWarne)

No comments: